Friday, October 7, 2011

The Windows Into Your Souls

From Mommy:

Just recently, I joined a new mom's group called MIA (Moms in Action).  We meet twice a month, and we are currently reading a book called Real Moms, Real Jesus.  It's a great reminder of how Jesus understands EVERYTHING that we go through as moms.  He knows how it feels to serve others and to be in high demand.  One of the speakers that was sharing some insight about the book talked about the process of putting your kids to sleep at night.  She reminded us that we all have those times when we try to sneak out the door as fast as possible--just so excited for that "me" time- even if that includes dishes and laundry!  So often as we tiptoe out of our child's room, we hear that small voice call out for us--- "Mommy..."  The speaker challenged us to not see these times as interruptions, but instead, as God appointments.  These are the moments when are children are processing so many things about the day, and if we just sit, open our hearts, and listen to them, we will have a window into their souls...



Lately, Javed has been very interested in imaginative play.  He loves pretending that he's a doctor, a fireman, a cowboy, and a worker at an ice cream shop.  A couple of days ago, I was cleaning up after lunch.  Charley was opening drawers and throwing things out of them (one of her favorite pastimes), and I was washing dishes, when I heard this little voice say, " Mommy, I'm going to pretend to be God."   Without thinking, I said (in a stern voice), "Javed- we don't pretend to be God."  Silence.  I turned off the water and went to the other room to see his face buried in a chair.  I sat down, and I told him that I knew that he was trying to play pretend, but that God wasn't someone we ever tried to BE...  It was a tough parenting moment, and I didn't feel like I did a good job of conveying what I wanted to tell him...

Fast forward to today...After Javed had an awesome time painting in the bathtub, he just kind of melted down.  He was overtired and frankly, just wasn't very happy that I had to wash his masterpiece off the bathroom walls.  After crying for awhile, he calmed down for us to read our nightly book and say our prayers.  Just as I was about to kiss him goodnight and tiptoe out of his room, he said to me, "Mommy, why can't we pretend to be God?"  I literally felt my heart soften, and I took a breath, and hoped that God would give me the right words.  I explained to him how there is only ONE GOD, and we never want to BE Him--we just want to BE LIKE HIM.  There are many doctors and fireman and one day we might grow up to become them, so it's okay to pretend to be them.  Since there's only ONE GOD, we never want to try to take His place.   We can try to be God's helpers and love like He does....The next part of the conversation was just so dear and literally brought tears to my eyes.  He proceeded to ask me questions like, "Did God make the stars?  Did God make the mountains?  Did God make the sky?  Did God make my clock?..."  What an awesome opportunity I had as a mom tonight to reinforce that God made everything, and He is control!  I truly thank HIM for giving me a window to peer into Javed's soul...

No comments:

Post a Comment